About Live Oak
Live Oak High School is a comprehensive high school in Morgan Hill Unified School District that serves students in grades nine through twelve since 1979. Live Oak is located in a suburban and rural area that has managed to retain the aura of a small town. Morgan Hill Unified is the largest geographical district within the state, serving 9,133 students from the cities of Morgan Hill and San Jose as well as the unincorporated areas of San Martin and Coyote Valley. The local economy is supported by agriculture, light industry, retail, and many small businesses. The student population reflects the rich ethnic and socioeconomic diversity of the community.
For nearly 100 years, Live Oak was the only high school in town; therefore, many generations of local residents attended the high school. The current site of Live Oak High School opened in 1975 and the student population has ranged from the current number of 1,168 students to 2,200 students in the mid-1980s. Due to limited space, Live Oak was not able to accommodate ninth grade students for 27 years. It was not until 2004 that ninth grade returned to the Live Oak campus when Ann Sobrato High School opened as the second comprehensive high school in Morgan Hill. Since then, Live Oak has remained at a constant enrollment varying between 1100 and 1300. Live Oak values its traditions, culture, and its commitment to student achievement and excellence.
It is the Vision of Live Oak High School to graduate students who demonstrate College and Career readiness to become productive workers and contributing global citizens. Our students will be ethical, critical, independent thinkers, informative navigators, and lifelong learners in order to be leaders and valuable participants in the 21st century.
The Mission of Live Oak High School is to provide a challenging, high quality educational environment. We are committed to equity and success for all students. For this purpose, all teachers will incorporate real life tasks, differentiated instruction, varied modalities, and appropriate technology to extend learning beyond the school environment. This community of learning will encourage all students to identify their unique abilities and talents to develop their college and career readiness. Thus, our students will become knowledgeable, skilled, responsible, adaptive, and creative global citizens.
Beliefs about Students and Learning
- We believe that there should be a curriculum for all students that reflects clear expectations, high academic standards, and meaningful assessments.
- We believe that students learn best when they are well-known, valued, and connected to a wide variety of advocates such as teachers, counselors, staff, administration, and parents.
- We believe students learn best when they are actively engaged through a variety of modalities and learning styles.
- We believe that students learn best in an environment that is emotionally and physically safe, is mutually respectful, is prejudice free, and is well-maintained with up-to-date facilities and equipment.
- We believe that all students should develop the necessary skills to succeed in their desired post-secondary pathways.
What is an ACORN?
Adaptive Life-Long Learners
Collaborators and Communicators
Ongoing Problem Solvers and Independent Thinkers
Respectful and Responsible Citizens
Navigators of the Future through Technology and Innovation